Saturday, August 28, 2010

Yard Sale Day

Today we had a yard sale for my parents. We sold art, knick-knacks, a dresser, two beds, a dining room set, an entertainment unit, dishes, old LP records, and lots of other stuff. My parents needed to get this stuff out of their garage so we sold it all very cheaply. They made about $400, enough to offset the cost of a new dining room set. I can’t wait to go shopping for one with my mom.

During the sale I carried her around in the Moby and noticed how much bigger she is now. In the hold we use, her head used to be covered by fabric. Now it sticks out.

Lately I’ve been thinking a lot about how Fiona’s preematurity has affected my parenting. For example, before she was born, I had no intention of letting her sleep in bed with me until she was old enough to get into bed herself. Now, I love mornings when we snooze together side by side. I let her sleep on me and on John all the time. She spends more time sleeping on us or her grandmother than she does in her own bed. I want her close all the time.I know she’s not fragile because if there is anything I learned in the NICU it’s just how strong and resilient she is. If she’s not near me, I have to check on her every few minutes. I worry that she is in pain every time she cries.

Maybe these are normal parent things and I just don’t know it.

On more a positive note Fiona is making developmental progress:

  • She now responds to sudden loud noises such as slamming doors or loudly clinking dishes.
  • She is noticing our faces. She’ll look right at our faces and explore them. Every time I look at her, she’s looking back at me, rather than at some far off point behind me.
  • She “holds” her binky with her hands. One or both will go to the mouth and hold it in place when we give it to her.

DSCN0953

  • Today, she sucked her thumb.

 

More goofy sleeping photos and her pudgy little feet:

DSCN0954 DSCN0946

DSCN0948 DSCN0955

1 comment:

  1. it amazes me at how comfortable she sleep in the oddest positions....most newborns want to be wrapped like burritos.

    ReplyDelete