Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Happy Birthday or Anniversary to The Fi Log!

I published my first blog post one year ago today. Fiona was still in the hospital. I was visiting twice a day, as usual, and becoming discouraged that she was never coming home. She still had a feeding tube, but no cannula. The following photo was taken on the 14th of July, 2010:

DSCN0537

I don’t know why I didn’t take any photos of her on the 13th, I thought I took photos every day. All I have for that day are photos of her room.

I can’t believe I have been blogging for a year! Time flies when you have a baby I guess. I never thought I could keep it up, but knowing my family and my friends are reading it helps motivate me. I imagine them checking every day for exciting updates. Is she walking? Did she get over her illness? What new trick is she doing now? What food is smeared on her face today? My posts are practically cliffhangers! Or at least I imagine someone reading my blog sometimes, in the middle of the night when they can’t sleep as an alternative to sleeping pills, or maybe just checking every few weeks to see how many times I use the word cute in one post, or if there are any new photos, or just to catch up on what happened while he was at work that I didn’t tell him at dinner (yes John, I mean you). I know my life is not very interesting but blogging helps me keep a record of Fiona’s development (I’ve never been good at keeping a diary) and I like looking back on the early days and to see how far we’ve come.

So on to other things, a bit late...

4th of July

I am not the most patriotic person. I do not own an American flag or wear red, white, and blue together, and 4th of July has never been a favorite holiday of mine. Half the time I’m traveling anyway.

This year we used our leftover meat from Fiona’s birthday barbecue as an excuse to celebrate 4th of July by having another barbecue. My aunt, uncle, and cousin came, as did my friend Nicole and her husband Chris and son Caz, and Krista, Dan, and Sophie made the trek up to see us. Of course my parents were there too. I have no photos of the event, but I do have some photos of the lovely splash pool that we bought with a gift card from Toys R Us. Sophie loved the slide and Fiona liked playing in the water. We put Fiona in it for several days in a row because it was really hot. Krista, Dan and Sophie stayed with us an extra day and we had a blast just hanging out in the backyard, playing in the pool, and making food. I don’t think we left the house for two days.

DSCN0366 DSCN0365

DSCN0363

 DSCN0360 DSCN0361

DSC_0871  DSC_0868

Sophie is a lot older than Fiona but they played beautifully together. She was very patient of Fiona grabbing her hair or occasionally trying to take a toy away, and also shared very nicely. I think she was a good role model for Fiona and Fiona learned a lot from her.

Here is Fiona eating watermelon:

DSC_0873 DSC_0877

DSC_0878 DSC_0880

It was at this time that Fiona started climbing:

DSC_0881 DSC_0882

5th of July

I have no photos myself (she has them on Facebook, maybe she’ll blog them sometime hint, hint, hint...), but on July 5th my good friend Jen gave birth to a very handsome (and cute and kissable and squeezable and huggable and lovable, I could go on and on he’s so sweet) little boy named Elliot Christopher. I think he looks like Jen but with Chris’ nose.

And Ha! I knew his name was Elliot! She made me guess but I have email evidence that on my first (or maybe 31st) guess, I guessed Elliot! I hope their family is resting as much as possible because it is not easy having a new baby in the house and I remember those days as being in a fog of exhaustion the likes of which I have never experienced before. Congratulations Jen and Chris! Welcome to parenthood!

9th of July

(Because I already posted about the 8th of July)

John and I got to dress up and go to a wedding. My friend Katie married a wonderful guy named Evan who is perfect for her. The wedding ceremony took place on a beach in Santa Barbara. It was short and funny, and classically Katie. The reception was at the Fess Parker Doubletree Hotel. The food was great, the service was great, the company was great. It was really fun. We drank a little, danced, chatted. And all night different women approached me and told me they loved my ensemble. No joke, at least seven different people complimented me on my outfit. I wore a yellow dress with red heals, pearls, and red lipstick, and later, a black cardigan. I’ve never been complimented on my clothes before, although a man in a bar once complimented me on my makeup and then told me how he used to do his wife’s makeup when she was in the hospital recovering from a stroke. She confirmed the story, but it was odd nonetheless. John looked quite dapper in a blue shirt and striped tie. He was very handsome as always.

Here is a photo that does not remotely do justice to my outfit:

DSCN0397 

The best part of the outfit was how cheap it was. The dress is from a second hand shop and cost $16.50, the shoes I bought on sale months ago, the jewelry was all cheap stuff from a teeny bopper store and has been sitting in my drawer for at least a year if not more. So cheap and stylish – the best combination!

11th of July

Monday was Jen and Chris’ one year anniversary. I was supposed to be her matron of honor but did not attend the wedding because Fiona was in the hospital and I was staging my own marriage to my breast pump. Ah, those were the days...(how I really don’t miss them at all). Jen and Chris, congratulations again! Happy Anniversary, two days late.

I’m sorry I didn’t post sooner, but I’ve had sick child for several days and then nothing gets accomplished (except some laundry because I’m pretty sure Fiona peed on me in her sleep, then she sort of did it again today in the doctor’s office, but that’s nothing compared to the episode of diarrhea she had today as well…deep breath). It’s been fun times around here lately, and I mean that in the most sarcastic way possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment