Getting to the airport and checking in was no problem and our plane was on time! We stopped for gas on the way and there was a guy with really big hair talking to the attendant. He was standing outside the locked up convenience mart while she was inside, talking through the window. I wondered that he had nothing better to do (such as sleep) at four in the morning.
Fiona playing in the airport:
Sunrise at the airport. It rained three out of the four days we were there. Of course on the day we leave, the sky is clear.
We arrived in San Francisco with lots of time to get to our gate. The monitors said the plane was on time and we were excited that we might make it home at a decent time. Our flight was supposed to be at 10:45am. At 10:20am they announced that the plane had arrived and would have a fast turn around.
So far, so good.
Then they announced that it was going to Eureka. Huh? Our plane was delayed AGAIN! By an hour and a half. Back to the kids’ zone it was.
Eating lunch at 10am.
That giant Lufthansa plane in the background is none other than one of the new double-decker Airbuses. It can hold over 500 people on it. I was telling John that I didn’t see any of those flying around the airport and I didn’t think SFO could support such a plane, and then less than ten minutes later, there it was. It has a two hour turn around time (the time it takes from when the passengers disembark until it can leave again). Yowsa!
We did eventually make it home, landing at about 2pm, two hours later than our original time. Everything seemed fine until we noticed that the only piece of our luggage that made it off the plane was the travel crib. In fact, many of our fellow travelers did not receive their bags either, even though the gate agent insisted that our bags were here. A little searching proved her wrong and it turns out that none of our bags left San Francisco. Now, be aware that we had to pay to check our luggage in the first place. I guess that does not guarantee it will reach its destination on time. Luckily, there was nothing we really needed in the bags. It’s one of the reasons I never pack anything really important in my checked luggage.
We filled out the form and went home. At their credit, the airline delivered the bags to us later that night, after 9pm, waking Fiona and generally annoying us, except that we were happy to see our suitcases in one piece.
And that ends our whirlwind but happy little sojourn to Victoria. Fiona was a fantastic little traveler, taking any little hiccups and wrinkles in stride, and allowing us to drag her around. I am already nostalgic for this trip and I can’t wait to do it again, and to travel with her again.
Here she is on my lap on the plane ride home. I think she is looking at Sky Mall:
No comments:
Post a Comment