Friday, January 13, 2012

Grandparents

The other day, Fiona and I paid a visit to my mom at her house. While Fiona busied herself emptying the spice cabinet:

IMG_0124

and taking all the mixing bowls out and pretending to cook with them:

IMG_0125 IMG_0131

IMG_0132

I wandered around the house (as I always do) looking for any changes or anything new, and I realized that there are pictures of Fiona in practically every room. In the kitchen, the dining room, the living room, next to the TV, the bedroom, I think there are some in the “office”. I think the only rooms with no photos are the bathrooms.

IMG_0126 IMG_0130

IMG_0127 IMG_0128

IMG_0129

IMG_0133 IMG_0134

There are more pictures of Fiona than there are of me. It’s not that I mind that. I think it is cute. It’s touching. It shows the love my parents have for Fiona.

Sometimes it makes me a little sad. I think about Grandpa Don and how far away he is. Grandparents are so important in the life of a young child. I have extremely fond memories of my grandparents. I still have dolls that my Safta Genia made for me and I remember my favorite thing to do was go to her house to play (and to eat whatever she was cooking). She always had time for me, told me stories, and just loved me. In the US, my Grandpa took me to yard sales and libraries. Fiona’s toy box and some of her toys were yard sale treasures that my Grandpa got me. And my Grandma Rose spent hours chatting with me about how unfair life was with little brothers, let me eat Lucky Charms, and took me to luncheons with her old lady friends, always bragging about how much better I was than their granddaughters (I am not sure her opinion was not biased, but I digress).

I am so eternally grateful that Fiona has a chance to grow up with grandparents close by. I hope she develops the same special bond with them as I did with my grandparents, and that she has her own happy memories of times spent with them. I also hope she is able to grow to know Grandpa Don because I know he can tell her some interesting stories from his youth, and probably a few about John too. Again, I am always a little sad that we are so far away from him. I wish someone would hurry up and invent the transporter so trips to Canada were not so expensive and it didn’t take so long to get there and back.

On another note, here is a video of Fiona “cleaning”. She really likes wiping up spills. I don’t know what she was doing to her sippy toward the end of the video. I think she was biting it. She is so silly, you really can never tell what her intentions are.

Yup, definitely my child.

No comments:

Post a Comment