Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Happy Birthday to Me!

Thank you to everyone for your birthday wishes!

Last year I wanted to go to the zoo for my birthday, but because Fiona was in the hospital and I had to pump every 2-3 hours, we did not go. Instead I went to visit her twice (as usual) and ate a little bit of ice cream cake. That was about it. It was a pretty depressing birthday. This year, John took the day off and we had a pleasant little family day. Fiona slept all night so we felt reasonably well rested. We started with a short trip to our favorite little coffee shop and then went to the hospital to give the NICU Fiona’s birthday presents (Keurig coffee maker and k-cups, and preemie clothes for the babies). We saw some nurses and the occupational therapist and it was a nice little reunion.

We got to the zoo around 1pm and ate lunch:

DSCN0273 DSCN0275

Fiona on the grass:

DSCN0276

She didn’t want to crawl to us. It took us a while to figure out that the grass was wet. Poor baby!

These trees are directly above the bathrooms and you can tell by all the bird poop on the ground underneath. I guess the birds think that it is their bathroom too.

DSCN0278

A condor smelling its own armpit?

DSCN0281

John and Fiona feeding the giraffe and the giraffe blowing kisses:

DSCN0283 DSCN0285

DSCN0287 DSCN0291

Fiona always looks so tiny next to John and he always looks so large:

DSCN0295

Fiona looking unhappy for some reason:

DSCN0294

We found a bouncing trunk and John put Fiona on it. Another little girl joined us but I did not take a photo of her because we don’t know her. She was almost 3 and was very interested in Fiona, especially because of a certain princess in a movie about a large green ogre.

DSCN0303 DSCN0304

DSCN0306

Look closely, this penguin is wearing a boot. His name is Lucky and he was born with a foot condition and surgery was too risky, so they made a shoe for him.

DSCN0309 DSCN0312

This bird learned the feeding times at the penguin house and arrived just in time, hoping to catch a morsel.

DSCN0310 DSCN0311 

Fiona playing on a bench:

DSCN0298 DSCN0300

DSCN0301  DSCN0302

The snow leopard was asleep, cuddling its tail:

DSCN0320 

Various monkeys:

DSCN0314 DSCN0313

DSCN0316 DSCN0319

My own little monkey:

DSCN0322

After Fiona went to bed, John and I went out to dinner. Every restaurant we went to was closed, so we wound up at Cafe Fiore, which is always good.

Here we are:

IMG_0071

John gave me a 16 gigabyte IPod Nano so I don’t have to keep deleting songs whenever I want to add more like I do with my old IPod. It’s very small and very cool. I can’t wait to use it! My mom made me a pecan pie and gave me a pair of earrings and a cookie jar.

All in all it was a really nice day and I can’t believe how old I am now!

No comments:

Post a Comment