Today we went to our first ever parent conference. It was interesting sitting on the other side of the table. Usually, I’m the one telling the parent how their child is doing (or more likely what the child is NOT doing) and ways to improve. Today it was my turn to listen and learn.
I am happy to report the Fiona is doing great. The biggest areas of concern are that she does not defend herself against other children and she doesn’t say her own name when asked. We discussed ways to encourage her to be more possessive of her things when another child tries to take them away and also that we need to teach her what her last name is and encourage her to say her first name. The name issue is probably due to her being very shy around people and not very comfortable in groups. Both teachers said she talks to them when they interact one on one with her, but she is very quiet when in a group setting. We know that she knows her classmates’ names, but at school, she does not say them. They are not at all worried about her and are trying to help her improve her social skills as well as communicating her needs, such as going to the bathroom or wanting a toy. Little miss chatterbox noisemaker is the silent type at school.
We were surprised to learn that she does not always participate in clean up at school. At home, Fi is quite fastidious when it comes to cleaning and neatening things, but apparently she is not so eager to clean up at school. If asked to put a specific toy away, she will do it without hesitation, but when they announce clean up time, she does not begin to clean up.
Her teachers said she follows directions well and does everything else that she is supposed to be doing. They said she loves doing crafts, gluing, painting, play dough, and anything involving music and movement (again interesting because at home, the only music I can get her to dance to is The Can Can). Both teachers noticed that Fi is very nurturing when it comes to baby dolls.
Fiona’s teachers told us that she has exceptional fine motor skills, listens well, and participates in all activities, and they love having her in class. We were given the applications for next year and have been told that two different teachers really want her in their classes next year. It is going to be a tough decision because both other teachers are great with kids and Fiona likes them both. We want her to continue three days a week with one of her current teachers, but we will need to pick between one of the other two for the remaining two days every week. Decisions, decisions. I feel like I am being asked to choose between a chocolate cake and another chocolate cake. In the end, I might just ask Fiona who she prefers. In the meantime, I think I will take Fiona’s current teacher’s advice and go check out the other classes myself to see what they are doing. It’s nice to know other people appreciate our little miracle. During the meeting I kept wanting to blurt out “She was a 31 weeker! She was nine weeks early! Look at her now! Can you believe it?!?” But I didn’t. It’s just nice to know other people feel she is special just as we do and that she is a desirable student.
All in all it was a great conference. We didn’t learn anything too surprising or shocking, other than her lack of cleaning. I am so glad Fi goes to this preschool. It has helped her so much in gaining confidence and social skills.
What post is complete without a photo of silly Fi:
She found the hat in a dress up box and is spinning her vegetables and fruit from Ikea in her new favorite toy, the salad spinner.
Have a great weekend!
No comments:
Post a Comment